Television Rating Point is trp full form. One of the most important metrics in TV production and advertising is television rating point. This measure tells you how many people watched your show, which can help with deciding what ads to put during commercials or when selling a new product on national brands like Maybelline cosmetics or ConAgra Foods’ Gold Medal Flour Mixes! It also impacts whether an episode will be aired again after its initial air date (and by how much).
- A television rating point (TRP) is a measurement of the total number of households that are tuned into a specific program on a particular station at any given time.
- The TRP is used to measure how popular or successful a TV show, movie, or ad campaign was.
- If you have a high TRP for your TV show, it means more people watched it and liked it than if you had low ratings.
- In India, most Indian channels have an average TRP of 4-5% which means out of 100 viewers only 5-6 people will be watching the channel at any given time.
- In order to get higher TRPs producers need to make sure their content is engaging and entertaining enough for viewers who may not necessarily like what they’re watching in order to keep them hooked.
- High ratings can also come from having celebrity guests on your show as well as creating suspenseful plot twists that leave audiences wanting more.
Examples of some popular TV shows with their ratings points
- Breaking Bad – 8.6/10, 10 million viewers per episode on average.
- Game of Thrones – 7/10, 4 million viewers per episode on average.
- House M D – 9/10, 13 million viewers per episode on average.
- Friends – 10/10, 22 million viewers per episode on average.
- The Big Bang Theory – 8/9, 20 million viewers per episode on average.
- Modern Family– 5/7, 12 million views in season one and 15% increase in season two (12 episodes), 18th most watched comedy series in 2011.
- Doctor Who– 7+/-1 rating point(s), averaging at around 3million viewings for each new series since 2005; has been the UK’s most watched drama during its run from 1963 to 1989 and again from 2010 onwards ; currently attracting an audience share between 25% and 35%; has had a total viewing figure that ranges up to 26million people.
How is TRP calculated?
- The Television Rating Point is a measurement of the percentage of households in the United States who are tuned to a specific program.
- It was developed by Nielsen Company in the 1950s and is still used today for advertisers to find out how many people watched their commercials.
- The formula for TV ratings point is.
- Program rating = Average number of viewers/Average number of homes with televisions.
- A program’s rating can also be determined by multiplying its share (the percentage of television homes that were watching it) times one hundred.
- To determine whether or not an event has reached “ratings gold,” it must have at least 50% more viewers than normal, which would be about 5-10 million viewers on average per episode.
Which is the highest TRP show in India?
- The TRP ratings are an indicator of the popularity, success, and viewership of a TV show.
- While there are many shows in India that have high TRP ratings, some popular ones include Bigg Boss 12, Kaun Banega Crorepati 9 (KBC), and Sach Ka Saamna.
- There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on how you measure “highest”.
- For example, if we look at the number of episodes aired per year for each show then Sach Ka Saamna has the highest TRP rating with 205 episodes airing in 2016.
- If we look at the average episode views then Bigg Boss 12 has a higher average than any other Indian TV show with 3 million views per episode.
- If we look at the duration of time spent watching each episode then Kaun Banega Crorepati 9 (KBC) has more cumulative viewing minutes than any other Indian TV show with 4 hours and 26 minutes total watch time in 2016.
Who is the No 1 TRP channel in India?
- The No 1 TRP channel in India is Star Plus.
- It has a viewership of more than 50 million people every week.
- It airs shows like Kyaa Hoga Nimmo Kaa, Kumkum Bhagya, and Saath Nibhaana Saathiya.
- These are the most popular TV channels in India.
- They have been on air since 1993 and they broadcast their programs 24 hours a day.
- Their slogan is “Tere Bina Zindagi Badal De” which means “Change Your Life With Us”.